Nelson is a city where life is unhurried and people say “hello” to strangers. With 350 heritage buildings, a fully restored and operating streetcar, stunning geography and a thriving arts and small business community, Nelson is a combination of storybook charm and cosmopolitan sophistication. Nelson sits on the West Arm of Kootenay Lake, nestled in the rugged Selkirk Mountains of southeastern British Columbia. We are located in the beautiful West Kootenay region, halfway between Vancouver and Calgary. For more details see our location on Google Maps.
Nelson is an attraction in itself: a beautiful, bustling community tucked into the lush Selkirk Mountains. There is plenty of tranquility here and lots of action, too. The city is more than the sum of its individual attractions, though they are quite impressive in themselves. The rolling Selkirk Mountains set against the West Arm of Kootenay Lake offer scenery that defies comparison. Thanks to the mild climate, you can ski without freezing in the winter and fish without scorching in the summer. The terrain and abundant snow make for amazing skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling and snowshoeing in the winter. As the snow melts away in the spring, the landscape becomes a mecca for golfing, hiking, fishing, climbing, mountain biking and bird watching.
For more information on the City of Nelson check out www.nelson.ca
Source: City of Nelson. 2012. About Nelson. Retrieved December 13, 2016 from http://www.nelson.ca/EN/main/visiting/about-nelson.html
The conference will be held at the Prestige Lakeside Nelson. Rooms have a discount rate of between $129 and $179 depending on the room. Space at the hotel is limited – to get the discounted rate call the hotel to book and ask for the booking discount under Selkirk College / CRRF.
For a map of Nelson click here.
There are other accommodations available in Nelson including, but not limited to:
- Prestige Inn: http://www.prestigehotelsandresorts.com/locations/nelson-prestige-inn/overview/
- Dancing Bear Hostel: http://www.dancingbearinn.com/index.php/en/
- Adventure Hotel: http://adventurehotel.ca/
- Mountain Hound Inn: http://www.mountainhound.com/
- Alpine Inn & Suites: http://www.alpine-motel.com/
- Best Western Inn: http://www.alpine-motel.com/
- Hume: http://www.alpine-motel.com/
- Mountain Hound Inn: www.mountainhound.com/
- Air B&B: www.airbnb.ca
The closest airport to Nelson is the West Kootenay Regional Airport in Castlegar which is serviced by both public transportation and a shuttle. Nelson is also accessible by flying into Trail, Cranbrook, and Kelowna. The city is also accessible via Greyhound bus.
We hope you are able to take the time to explore and enjoy the region when you visit. For more information please visit the following local tourism websites:
- Nelson Kootenay Lake Tourism: http://www.nelsonkootenaylake.com
- Tourism Rossland: http://tourismrossland.com/
- Revelstoke: http://SeeRevelstoke.com
- Tourism Kimberley: http://www.tourismkimberley.com/
- Invermere & Panorama: http://invermerepanorama.com/home.html
- Kootenay Rockies Tourism: https://www.kootenayrockies.com/